Read Before you even think of Installing SQLServer 2014 CTP1
SQL Server 2014 CTP1 is out with lots of cool & exciting features, if you’ve not yet downloaded it, you can get it from below mentioned link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/sql-server-2014.aspx
If you are want to try out all\any of these cool features you might want to install this version but before you even think of doing this read the below limitations carefully – chances are your installation will fail if you do not fulfill any of these.
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Community Technology Preview 1 (CTP1) installation limitations:
- · Microsoft SQL Server 2014 CTP1 is pre-release software and should be installed only on a clean machine. It does not support upgrade from or side-by-side installations with any previous version of SQL Server, including SQL Server 2012. In addition it does not work with or support side by side installations with any client redistributables of SQL Server such as feature pack components, Visual Studio 2012 or earlier versions, SQL Server Data Tools, Data Tier Application Framework, etc.
- · To administer Microsoft SQL Server 2014 CTP1 use only SQL Server Management Studio that ships as a part of Microsoft SQL Server 2014 CTP1.
- · The Microsoft SQL Server 2014 CTP1 release is NOT supported by Microsoft Customer Services and Support (CSS).
- · The Microsoft SQL Server 2014 CTP1 release is only available in the X64 architecture.
- · The Microsoft SQL Server 2014 CTP1 release is a NON-PRODUCTION release and should not be installed and used in production environments.
- · The Microsoft SQL Server 2014 CTP1 release does NOT have an associated Microsoft SQL Server 2014 CTP1 Feature Pack.
- · The Microsoft SQL Server 2014 CTP1 release on Windows Azure VM is only intended for functional development and testing, and not for performance testing.
- · The Microsoft SQL Server 2014 CTP1 release contains branding and versioning from older Microsoft SQL Server releases.
I actually tried installing this on my laptop which was already having all version of SQL Server starting from 2005. Same as the previous installations the Setup Support Rules screen is there in SQL Server 2014 installation media which detected the previous installation of SQL Server on my laptop & stopped my attempt of installing something which is against the rules.
After clicking on the Hyperlink “Failed” I got the complete error message in a dialog box – same as earlier versions.
So to fulfill these rules I created a new Virtual Machine to install and test out these features – I’ll be posting all those steps in my next blog – till then stay tuned and Happy Learning J
Sarabpreet Singh Anand
Subscribe now to get latest Blogs in your Inbox or Follow on twitter @SQLDB